PLEASE NOTE: To protect your safety in response to the threats of COVID-19, we are offering our clients the ability to meet with us via telephone or through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.
Immigration & Nationality Law Group
Call Today

Office Location

How to maintain your permanent United States residency status

Obtaining your green card to live legally in the United States is an exciting time for people of any background. You’ve worked hard to obtain the green card, studied, worked and done everything the laws have asked you to do. Simply obtaining the green card for permanent residency does not mean you will keep it for the rest of your life. You need to maintain your permanent residency status.

One of the most common ways to lose your green card is by abandoning your permanent residency status. How can someone abandon his or her status? If a person with a green card leaves the country for an extended period and does not take steps to remain a permanent resident, he or she will lose his or her status.

The same can be said for those who intend to move out of the country and live elsewhere permanently. If someone leaves the United States, even temporarily, but fails to file income tax returns for any length of time, this can lead to the revocation of permanent resident status. It also happens when someone declares that they are a ‘nonimmigrant’ when they do file an income tax return.

Permanent residency status is also lost when an immigration court judge issues a final ruling that removes you from the country. This typically occurs due to the commission of a crime.

Permanent residents can also lose their green cards when they decide to go through the naturalization process. Once a person becomes a naturalized citizen, they are no longer viewed as a permanent resident.

Making sure that you maintain your permanent residency status in the United States is not challenging. Just follow the instructions found in today’s post so you do not lose your green card and have to leave the country.