Immigration & Nationality Law Group
Call Today 504-322-1407 866-585-1072

What happens if you overstay your visa?

You come to the United States on a work visa. When it expires, you're not yet ready to leave and so you decide to stay. You assume that no one will know. What are the potential ramifications?

This is a very serious topic, and it's something that can really jeopardize your chances of remaining in the United States or returning at a later date. It's important to keep the specific authorized dates on your visa in focus, and you should never overstay without taking the proper steps to obtain an extension or a new visa.

If you do overstay your authorized time, it is called being "out-of-status." You may have entered the United States legally, but you are now living in it illegally. That violates the standing immigration laws and could be cause for deportation if you are caught.

Furthermore, if you are deported for this reason, you might not be eligible to return to the United States in the future. Your initial violation causes your visa to be canceled or voided, and you might never get another one.

This is incredibly important to understand because even a simple mistake can cause serious issues. Maybe you never meant to overstay your visa at all, and you just misread the end date and stayed too long. You may still find it harder to get another work visa at another time.

If you need to stay longer or have already overstayed your end date, it is crucial that you know what legal steps to take. Find out how to stay here legally so that you do not need to worry about these complications or risk your future.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information


Immigration & Nationality Law Group
938 Lafayette Street
Suite 201
New Orleans, LA 70113

Toll Free: 866-585-1072
Phone: 504-322-1407
Fax: 504-569-4697
Map & Directions