Immigration & Nationality Law Group
Call Today 504-322-1407 866-585-1072

Can I bring my sibling to the United States?

Imagine you've moved to the United States from another country. After years of building a life here, you've finally obtained your official U.S. citizenship. Now, you'd like to bring your sister or brother here to live with you. You and your brother or sister may be in luck!

Under U.S. immigration law, naturalized citizens, who are 21 years of age and older, can help their siblings to obtain permanent residency by completing the Form I-130. Keep in mind that, if you only have your green card, Form I-130 won't apply to your situation.

Here's what you'll need to prepare:

  • Complete and submit Form I-130. This form will cover your sibling, your sibling's spouse and any of his or her unmarried children who are 21 years of age or under.
  • You'll also need to submit a copy of your birth certificate and a copy of your sibling's birth certificate. Make sure that it's clear by the birth certificate that both you and your sibling share at least one parent in common.
  • In addition, you'll need to submit evidence of your citizenship through a copy of your U.S. passport, U.S. birth certificate, naturalization certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad or certificate of citizenship.

It's not always clear how to properly complete the Form I-130 for an immigrating family member. Furthermore, it's possible that other residency options exist for your sibling. Therefore, make sure that you fully understand your sibling's legal circumstances before pursuing this pathway to permanent U.S. residency. By consulting with a qualified U.S. immigration law attorney, you can gain a better understanding of your sibling's most appropriate next steps.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information


Immigration & Nationality Law Group
938 Lafayette Street
Suite 201
New Orleans, LA 70113

Toll Free: 866-585-1072
Phone: 504-322-1407
Fax: 504-569-4697
Map & Directions